Providing CFO services and Business Transition Services in Wisconsin
Madison, WI CFO
37 Years of Experience
University of Colorado - Boulder
B.S. Business - Accounting
University of Wisconsin - Madison
MBA - Corporate Finance
Certificates & Licenses:
Certified Cash Manager (CCM)
Madison Area Business Consultants
Exit Planning Network
Contact Rick Perrin and receive a free Discovery Analysis™
- A confidential meeting with the business owner(s), then interview company staff.
- Look at the company’s financial information and computer systems.
- Benchmark financial information against industry averages.
- Create a confidential report of our findings in The Strategy Gameplan™
Rick has over 35 years of broad-based financial and operations experience in manufacturing, retail, construction, software, non-profit and service firms, and as a CPA and consultant. He has extensive experience leading companies through high growth, and is particularly adept at driving increased sales, operational improvement and profitability. Rick is also a Certified Business Transition ExpertTM and helps business owners to successfully transition their businesses to new owners, family, or employees.
Rick provides CFO services and is the trusted advisor for a number of small and mid-market businesses in the Madison, WI, Mauston, WI and surrounding areas, where he helps them with all aspects of financial management, operations and profitability improvement, strategic planning and growth strategies. Rick uses unique planning and financial tools to increase his client's sales and profits and turn around struggling companies. He serves a variety of clients including manufacturers, distributors, contractors, medical, software, consulting, non-profit and specialty service companies. Rick also helps companies with interim needs, mentors Controllers and other CFO's and helps larger companies hire the right CFO.
Rick knows that many business owners are planning on exiting their businesses in the next few years but many don't know how to maximize the value they will receive on exit, nor do they have a plan for a successful transition. As a Certified Business Transition ExpertTM, Rick helps owners maximize their exit value and uses B2B CFO®'s proprietary process to help lead them through a successful transition. This includes helping the owner determine the best exit, including selling for the highest price, selling to employees (management buyout or ESOP), sell to a Private Equity Group, or other alternatives.
Rick understands that the best run and most profitable companies have great planning processes. He helps companies develop their strategic, operational and marketing plans, and then helps them put together a Profit Plan (Budget) around these plans to set, monitor and achieve stretch financial goals.
Rick has managed warehouse operations and large IT and purchasing departments and consults on Supply Chain Management, purchasing and negotiating strategies. Rick has extensive HR experience and helps companies with compensation, benefit and incentive programs.
Prior to joining B2B CFO® in 2005, Rick was Vice President Finance/CFO at a complex manufacturer where he played a lead role in driving sales from $45 to $80 million, reducing costs over $3 million, and leading the launch of two new divisions including a manufacturing operation in China. Rick managed the accounting, IT, Purchasing, Quoting and Logistics departments, and was instrumental in the acquisition and financing of $22 million of new capital and the quoting and successful launch of $25 million in new products. Rick also implemented new costing systems and management tools for improving profitability. Prior to this, Rick was VP Finance of a six-plant manufacturing company where he played a lead role in doubling sales to $40 million and led teams in the acquisition and implementation of ERP Manufacturing, Accounting and HRIS systems. Rick was also Controller of a $100 million retail chain and Corporate Accounting & Treasury Manager of a $350 million manufacturer.
Rick earned a B.S. in Business-Accounting from the University of Colorado-Boulder where he graduated in the top 10% of his class. He also holds an MBA in Corporate Finance from the University of Wisconsin Madison. Rick became a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) in 1984 and is a CCM (Certified Cash Manager), having received one of the top five scores on the 1995 Treasury Management exam. Rick is also a Certified Business Transition ExpertTM. In 2004 the Association for Financial Professionals (AFP) selected Rick from a list of over 100,000 financial professionals as one of the 300 most outstanding professionals in the finance and treasury industry. Rick lives in Madison with his wife Darcy and has two daughters, Erica and Haley, and enjoys boating, skiing, golf and biking.
Contact Rick (608) 576-3773
SUCCESS STORIES – RICK PERRIN, B2B CFO®
- $36MM Manufacturer/Distributor: $2+MM saved in two days: Saved the company over $2 million in the first two days on site by analyzing the business and halting a huge financial mistake. Created a complex financial model to save a contract and line of business. Created a financial model which identified financial drivers and provided the CEO and CFO with a roadmap to profitability and stop $150K+ in monthly losses.
- Professional Services Firm:Provided financial and advisory services to help turn the company around.
- Multi-Location Warehouse/Services Firm: Built a financial and costing model to identify financial drivers and calculate overhead rates resulting in improved pricing decisions and profitability.
- $30MM Manufacturer/Distributor:Managed financial aspects of transition from a joint venture to a stand-alone operation. Secured financing, set up systems and directed accounting operations.
- Engineering Consulting Firm: Installed a complete financial management program including product line profitability statements, development of overhead rates, quoting and pricing programs, monthly operations and staff productivity reports, forecasting tools and a tax management program. Owners gained a complete understanding of the financial dynamics of their company to compete better and increase profitability.
- Non-Profit Operator of 3 Medical and 3 Dental Clinics: Developed a financial model to analyze financial operations and calculate financial metrics for improving company profitability. Revamped numerous accounting practices to improve accuracy and efficiency and help their CEO, CFO and Controller gain a much better understanding of operational profitability. Developed a site model for creating pro-forma P&L’s for new potential locations. Identified and recovered over $250,000 in billings not paid by the State. Provided valuable insight and advice to the CEO.
- Financial Services Company: Completed a customer/pricing analysis with recommendations, leading to new pricing strategies and increased sales. Built a profitability model and a model to analyze acquisitions.
- $9MM Specialty Contractor: Developed and implemented job costing strategies and programs for analyzing and improving profitability, a financial reporting system for better understanding profitability and improving cash flow and implemented a perpetual inventory system to control inventory.
- Commercial Contractor: Created a financial model to analyze operations and automatically calculate overhead rates for improved pricing decisions. Built a sophisticated model to improve the quoting process which gave management a better understanding of the financial and cost impact of jobs bid.
- Manufacturing Company: Provided business advice to the owner, developed financial analyses, job costing and reporting systems, assisted with financings and multiple product line acquisitions. The work helped the company to reach the Inc. 5000 several times, one of the fastest growing firms in the U.S.
- Large Health Care Provider: Analyzed the entire purchasing function of the multi-site organization and provided recommendations leading to efficiency improvements and cost reduction.
- Multi-State Document Security Company: Designed and implemented management reporting systems and budgets, assisted with strategic planning and financial strategies for roll-ups with synergistic companies.
- www.3GoodQuestions.com: As the financial team member of 3GoodQuestions, helped several well known Madison organizations develop their important goals and annual business plans.
Every Company, Regardless Of Its Size, Needs A CFO® Who is your CFO?
2 Similar Businesses
TWO SIMILAR BUSINESSES, DIFFERENT RESULTS
Both companies manufacture, sell and service the same products.
|Operating Profit % Sales||2.25%||5.0%|
|Management Team and Strategy|
|Sales/Marketing Team & Strategy||Strong||Strong|
|Operational Team & Strategy||Strong||Strong|
|CFO/Financial Team and Strategy||Weak||Strong|
|Quality and Customer Satisfaction||High||High|
Financial teams make a difference. Most Controllers and many CFO’s are not skilled in Financial Strategies. Rick Perrin of B2B CFO® helps management understand HOW WHY and WHERE they are making or losing money. He knows how to develop detailed PLANS and FINANCIAL STRATEGIES to improve the business and drive up profitability for all size companies.
PROFITABILITY DRIVEN BY FINANCIAL STRATEGIES
Clients and Industry Experience
|Animal Genetics & AG Products||Engineering Firms:|
|Armored Car and ATM Servicing||* Civil|
|Consulting||* Circuit Boards|
|Contract Packaging||* Water Treatment Equipment|
|Digital Imaging and Data Collection||* Counter Tops|
|Digital Printing for Autos and Boats||* Farm Equipment|
|Document Storage and Shredding||* Machine tools|
|Financial Services and Credit Cards||* Metal Fabrication|
|Health and Dental Care Clinics||* Plastics Thermoforming|
|IT Managed Services||* Specialty Fuels|
|Marina, Boat, Pier Sales and Service||* Structural Steel|
|Processing -Food and Pharmaceutical Industries|
|Products for Retail/In-Store Advertising||Manufacturing and Distribution:|
|Professional Employer Organization and HR Consulting||* Animal Products|
|Real Estate Development||* Specialty Gems|
|Restaurant||* Highway & Traffic Control Products|
|Specialty Products for Children with Disabilities||* Wood Moldings & Specialty Products|
|Strategic Planning for Senior Management|
|Warehousing and Cold Storage||Non-Profit:|
|Web Design||* Banking|
|* Emergency Services|
|Contractors:||* Food Distribution|
|* Garages||* Large State Service Programs|
|* Home Builder|
|* Large Buildings||Packaging:|
|* Lighting||* Contract|
|* Remodeling||* Pharmaceutical|
|* Roads and Utilities||Retail:|
|* Waterproofing||* Convenience Stores|
|* Wiring||* Farm and Outdoor Equipment Sales|
|Distribution:||* Specialty Foods|
|* Specialty Water Sports Products|
|* Specialty Papers – Wholesale and Internet||Software:|
|* Medical – Enterprise Systems|